I will no longer be updating this blog.
DO CHECK OUT MY NEW BLOG AT WWW.THEBAKEANISTA.COM

Thursday, April 14, 2011

HK-style Baked Cheese Pork Chop Rice (香港焗豬扒飯)

It was a cold, windy evening when all of a sudden, my cravings for Kim Gary's baked pork chop rice kicked in real hard.

I ransacked my entire refrigerator to ensure that I have all ingredients well and prepared. Yes, I always try to keep a set of marinaded pork chops in my freezer, ready to be defrosted at any time. Well, just in case!

All I had to do was to run down to the supermarket to get cheese, which was fine by me. I'd do anything to satisfy my cravings. And there, Cheffie Mich puts her chef hat back on and whips out this cheesy dish! ;)


A: Fried Rice (Base)
- 2 cups of cooked rice [best if it's leftover]
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper to taste


1. Heat oil in pan, and fry eggs in a pan over medium high heat.
2. Add in rice, stir and let it cook for 5-10 minutes.
3. Add salt and pepper as you wish, to taste.


B: Pork & Marinade
- 5 slices of lean pork cutlet
- 3 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp of Shao Xing cooking wine
- 1 1/2 tsp of 5 spiced powder
- a dash of white pepper
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1/2 cup corn flour, to coat pork chops
- 1/4 cup canola oil, for frying


1. Marinate pork chops with Worcestershire, wine, 5 spiced powder, pepper & sugar for at least 30 minutes. I prefer to marinade it overnight.
2. When ready to pan-fry, evenly coat pork chops in corn flour.
3. Heat oil until hot then pan fry pork chops on medium heat until golden brown. Don't worry if it's still a little pink inside because it will continue to cook in the oven.
4. Set aside then cut into pieces when cooled.


C: Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 red capsicum/bell pepper
- 1/4 green capsicum/bell pepper
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp sweet chilly sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Shao Xing cooking wine
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- corn starch slurry, to thicken
- a dash of white pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt


1. Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until translucent without browning.
2. Add tomatoes, capsicums and cook until softened.
3. Add ketchup and sweet chilly sauce, then stir to mix.
4. Add Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and cooking wine.
5. Add in chicken stock and bring to boil.
6. Reduce heat and let simmer for 15-20 minutes to reduce mixture.
7. You may opt to add cornstarch slurry to thicken sauce.
8. Add salt & pepper to taste.


D: To assemble
- a mix of Tasty & Mozzarella cheese


1. Preheat oven to 200 deg C.
2. Place fried rice in a deep casserole dish.
3. Arrange sliced pork chops over rice.
4. Spread sauce evenly over pork and sprinkle shredded cheese generously over the top.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
6. Voila! You may now indulge. :)

Oh my, cheesy heaven! :D

I super love a nice layer of baked cheese - yes, I know! Don't remind me of the calories, I was all prepared to indulge.

What I'd say is don't go stingy on the cheese because if you're afraid of putting on weight, don't bother whipping this dish up. ;)

Enjoy your 香港焗豬扒飯, folks! ;)

2 comments :

Michelle Chin said...

I love this lots too! Guess i'll be making this soon. :D

- m i c h e l l e - said...

Hehe, it is simple yet so satisfying! :D

Click on 'OLDER POSTS' for more! :)